I was reading this article on 'Contemporary American Conservatism' by (Tomasky).
It is a reprinted article, pusblished in America and carried in India's secular Newspaper.
This article confronts the 'conservative' of (Tomasky) with the polemic of accusation that the 'conservative' (Tomasky) is a holy servant with values and 'ideology' which are hostile to the 'liberals' and the president elected.
Liberals loathed George Bush but did not invoke fantastical fabrications of root arguments in metaphor like conservatives take on Obama.
One often hears conservatives speak of how Obama is destroying "my" country.
The "conservatives" are certain that they represent the "real" American values and that liberals represent alien values.
For "conservatives" Obama is not just a guy whose views they vehemently disagree with. He is an ideological typhoid Mary. (Tomasky)
I would like to raise the quodlibet (theology of dialectical argument) against Mr. Tomasky's over inflated babble of babel. For the quodlibet called playful fist, I take two arguments, one, the unlocking of his fixated centre as the ideological divide between two given sections of American society, two, the search for the charismatism of meaning lying within Tomasky's use of the "my", as the "conservative" representing the "real" American. I re-label Tomasky's mocked-at 'American Conservatives', as neo charismats ( noun [person] for charisma), who are more sure of their foundations, in a highly unstable financial & political world, where men and women change their opinions like changing clothes, and swing temperately with the flow of tides.
Tomasky's fixated ideological divide of labeling the American with 'liberal' and 'conservative' tags is an ideology of culture, fixated on the notions of bourgeoisie fetishes. The "American is an American" first. Let me illustrate few examples from American secular cultural life to show the rupture of Tomasky's claimed- to- be liberal views.
1) Imagine I am Bob Dylan, I support Bush but I am an atheist.
2) I am Elvis Presley. I voted for change and voted for Obama. I am a believer and I denounce war.
3) I am Mohammad Hassan (converted). I am a true American and I voted for the new. I don't support the President's sustained involvement in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.
4) I am a believing feminist wanting change, a switch in gender roles for Presidential claims. I voted for my preference of gender.
5) I am a believer, a poor American, who attends an elite church as I love the sermons there. I voted for change as I wanted greater equality and opportunity for all Americans.
6) I am Noam Chomsky, and I neither support Bush nor Obama's strategically aggressive police in central Asia or West Asia. I am an Atheist with the theology of liberation, eager to develop the entire geo- politics of (America's), as the economics for eudemonism and democracies for peace.
7) I am an educated Native American, and I seek to be in politics soon with a new political party -Natives for American freedom.
A discerning perusal of all these statements would show how hollow is Tomasky's ideological divide. Tomasky's ideology, of attaching conservative and liberal labels is rhetorical bankcruptness; it functions as an outdated class signifier of decadent bourgeoise ethic which still tries to invoke, modernist- demons to fetishize, antiquarian, class and cultural symptoms of cultural monophobias.
At the Biblical level, and its meta signification -I ponder over Tomasky's virulent dementia against Conservative Americans with the historicism and I ask them, who are labeled by Tomasky as 'the 'conservative', the following questions.
a) Are they not, the 'conservatives' as America the Son's and Daughters of the 'New Covenant'? (Hebrews).
b) Do they not believe that that the Old Covenant with its transgressions of generations, as fathers and mothers are forgiven after the making of the new covenant? (Hebrews)
c) Does not the 'New Covenant' envisage a core faith as: "The substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen ?" (Hebrews)
d) Does the 'New Covenant' signify: God's renewal of grace, favor, property, prosperity as the earth of the living and the earth for beyond the lived?
e) If all these questions can be wiped off, or labeled as America's conservatism, then Tomasky wins his quodlibet. On the other hand if all these biblical questions cannot be disintegrated from the 'faith' of them whom Mr. Toamasky has labeled and ridiculed as 'conservative Americans', then there is a deeper truth as to why, Tomasky- labeled -Americans repeat: "my America"; there is a reason beyond the vanity of rhetoric, hiding beyond Tomasky's disguise of promoting pseudo liberalism by denigrating the right of the other. That reason isn't conservative. It is the liberal spirit which smiles in jest at shenanigans like Tomasky as: idols fixated on hopes, and idols ignorant of, 'the hope'.
1. Tomasky, Michael. Contenporary-American Conservatism. Hindu, ©Guardian Newspapers ltd. Chennai.
2 Book of Hebrews. New Testament.