I am really disappointed with the amount of exposure I am getting for my story on Booksie. I really like the site, but there are a couple of things that really bug me.
- When I post, I choose the "source" option so that I can post html. This is mostly because I like to have my paragraphs 'fully justified". To do this I prepare the file on my computer before-hand with the cleanest html code that I can create (removing all the other style info that Open Office add to the file) and then copy and past the raw html. I now know that I have to post the chapter, publish it to make it live, then go in to edit it and re-post the html as my code has been stripped out somewhere in the submission process.
- I wish that there was a "next" and "previous" link on each chapter. It is really irritating that I have to go back to the top of the page to select the chapter number for the next chapter.
- The table of contents links each chapter to the first chapter of the book. The description of each chapter in the table of contents is also really irritating as it repeats the main story description for each chapter instead of leaving the description blank if there is no additional chapter summary.
- The Read stats are not updated. When I click on "Add or Edit" it lists the various items I have posted, but the number of reads does not reflect the total shown when I drill down to view the chapter views.
- There are very few stats. I would like to know a little more about the numbers of people who are viewing my story. The most important to me is how many people have started the story, then abandoned it half-way through. This could be reflected in a percentage for each chapter with the number of views for that chapter reflected as a percentage of the number of views for the first chapter. The views though must only be added according to username (or IP address for guests) so that we don't get inflated view numbers from people who reload the page multiple times.
- I would like to see a rating option for the story as a whole that can be updated at the end of each chapter. The rating should allow for rating on three aspects as seperate figures : technical, Plot and Appeal to the reader. Then as an author I would be able to see what the readers think of the story according to those categories as well as to allow me to select what I want to read based on a ranking based on what others think are good stories, especially in terms of technical and plot.
With all that said, I do enjoy using Booksie, but I must say I get MUCH better exposure on some other sites, My story has been read over 8 thousand times all the way through on one particular site, and here it has been read through only twice if I can believe the stats...