Coconut has been traditionally used in Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha systems of medicine as detailed below:-
(i) Ayurveda - Coconut has been used as medicine in Ayurveda in disease conditions such as Burning, Pain, excess thirst, dehydration, bleeding disorders, Acid Peptic etc.
(ii) Unani - Use of coconut is recommended in diseases such as Alopecia, Hair loss, Premature Greying of Hair, Bronchitis, Dandruff, Excessive Thirst, Fevers, General Debility. Coconut Fruit pulp is used as appetizer, astringent, cooling, diuretic, laxative, nourishing and tonic. Coconut oil is used as hair tonic, appetizer, digestive, disinfectant, insecticidal and nutritive.
(iii) Siddha - Tender coconut, leaf, Tender leaf, Infloresesence, Root, coconut Shell, Nut and Milk are used in Siddha for diseases such as Psoriasis and eczema etc.
Central Council for Research in Siddha has indicated that Clinical research trials on coconut/coconut oil have been conducted in Siddha system. Coconut oil is used in preparation of 777 oil and Karappan oil which are beneficial in treatment of skin disorders such as Psoriasis and eczema respectively.
Further, in a recent study carried out by National Institute of Nutrition of Indian Council of Medical Research, no adverse effects were observed due to consumption of coconut oil at moderate levels. There was an increasing trend in plasma HDL - cholesterol (good cholesterol) levels, due to consumption of coconut oil as against groundnut oil consumption in over weight subjects.
Uses of Coconut Tree from its parts
- Coconut Roots can be use for beverage, dye stuff, and medicine purposes.
- Coconut Trunk uses for buildings parts. Out of the Coconut Trunk, handy and durable wood is obtained to make various pieces of furniture and novelty items. Paper pulp can also be extracted from the trunk.
- Coconut Shell, a part of Coconut Fruit produce items such as handicrafts items, charcoal for cooking, and many more.
- Coconut Husk also a part of Coconut Fruit is also used to obtain Coir. An elastic fiber used for rope, matting, and coarse cloth.
- Coconut Leaves for thatch and Puso.
- Coconut Spathe and Guinit can produce helmets, caps, "bakya" straps, and handbags.
- Coconut Inflorescence is also used to produce Coconut Juice, Coconut Toddy or Tuba. The fermented juice is the common alcoholic drink in the coconut region. Other products out of the Coconut Tree's inflorescence are gin and vinegar.