|Other site:||View Link|
|Favorite book:||Currently, the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series|
|Member Since:||Nov 6, 2011|
My passion for writing started in fifth grade when my teacher praised and encouraged my creative writing work in class.
I continued working hard at whatever assignments were given to me through middle school and high school. In high school, however, I was challenged by a member of the school's newspaper team. I took the challenge and became enamored with journalism. My majors in college were English with a creative writing emphasis and sociocultural anthropology, since my university did not have a formal journalism program. My dreams of traveling the world and writing about my experiences— giving a voice to those without a voice, delivering nothing but the absolute truth— were fueled by Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan graphic novel series. I'd grown jaded with corporate media and, in time, I also became disillusioned with alternative newspapers who only sought to be just as myopic and biased— but only in the opposite direction— as any other news outlet.
I am an avid gamer whose roots are in space combat simulators like Privateer from the Wing Commander series and RPGs like Diablo. A lot of my gamer background also lies in playing P&P RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons and RIFTS. My current haunts are World of Warcraft— which is, incidentally, how I met my husband— Portal 2, and Starcraft II. I'm waiting, ever so patiently, for Diablo III to finish beta testing and be released. Don't think I've ever been this eager about something since George R. R. Martin announced a finalized publication date for A Dance with Dragons!
Having an active toddler around certainly cuts down on my time to game and write, though I'm trying to carve out time for both! Some day, I'll get back to seeking out the truth of matters and bringing them to the people but, until then, I have the very important task of looking after my little one. Any writing I do now is creative prose, usually of the fantasy/sci-fi flavor. You don't just shake off a childhood of Stargate: SG-1, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Wars, and The Lord of the Rings without itching to create your own universe.
My other interests and hobbies include amateur astronomy, teaching for my parish's school of religion, baking, volunteering for the Salvation Army and my parish, and brainstorming about characters and story ideas.
My other favorite books include:
- The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix
- Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky by Diana Wynne Jones
- The Fables graphic novels by Bill Willingham
- Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard
- Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- The Chrestomanci Books by Diana Wynne Jones
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
- The Redwall series by Brian Jacques
- The Shannara series by Terry Brooks
- Sandman by Neil Gaiman
- The Mary Russel and Sherlock Holmes mysteries by Laurie R. King
- H.P. Lovecraft's short stories
- The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe
- The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
... Just to name a few.