All right, you may come here and have a total confused face going “what in all of Satan’s crack is steampunk?”
Well, I said the same thing before I knew what it was.
…AND I REALIZED THAT I WAS IN LOVE WITH IT!!!
Basically, steampunk is sub-genre of science fiction set in usually during the 1800s in England; or the Victorian era. A lot of times, they involve the industrialization of England, so they feature a lot of steam-powered machines.
Welp. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t sound just too interesting.
A lot of times, they don’t exactly have to focus on the use of steam machinery. Most of the time, they revolve around supernatural or paranormal occurrences in the 1800s era, a lot of time in England, and that’s what they mostly focus on.
And I liked supernatural stuff (including the show) before everyone started liking vampires and Twilight, or whatever, and everyone was doing contests, so I just thought “well, how about I just follow the crowd and do what everyone else is doing”.
Except, not really, I’m not much of a people pleaser, sadly.
So basically, supernatural themes/beings that you could use are:
- Elementals (being with powers of the elements: fire, water, wind, earth, etc.)
- Hunters (of supernatural beings)
- UNICORNS, UNICORNS, UNICORNS!!!! (Thanks for reminding me, Ami :P)
- ♥♥♥Unicorns-- You. Gotta. Love. Unicorns.♥♥♥
And the list literally gones on, and on, and on. You don't realize how hard that was for me to keep listing.
Alright, enough gab!!
· Has to be a short story (sorry, no novels or poems or anything, if you send in one, I will resist the urge to call you an idiot and tell you that you are disqualified)
· There is a word limit of 5,550 words, in total— nothing over that limit, or again, I resist the urge, etc., and disqualify you
· It has to be about steampunk. That’s what this whole contest is about!
o You don’t necessarily have to include the steam machinery revolution in it, it can just be about supernatural and paranormal themes in England during the 1800s
· Please edit, edit, and edit even more your entry. I mean, if a sentence reads: ‘n i bE lyke; mah fvrit3 cOlOr ez bleu’, then that’ll piss me off.
- And please don't write any erotica. It'll just make me feel even more awkward about life than I already do...
· All entries must be in by Friday, February 22nd, 2013, No ifs, ands, and especially, buts
· The results of the contest will be up that Sunday, February 24th, 2013
Note: Dates may be subject to change. Because of my short attention span.
Prizes!! *The Whole Reason You Entered This Contest*
1. First Place: A fan request from me, I’ll read five pieces of your choice, and I’ll read one of your novels, from start to finish, no matter what, and your name will also be on my profile all big and sparkly and shit like that. And we can best friends!!! Lmao, just kidding, unless you want me to be, of course.
2. Second Place: Still, a fan request from me, but I’ll only read three pieces of your choice, and we shall never be best friends. Again, just kidding.
3. Third Place: NO FAN REQUEST FOR YOU!!! Nah, just kidding, you get one too, and I’ll only read one piece, unfortunately. Unless you’re already my best friend or I’m in love with you, and therefore, I always read every single thing for those people that I do. Just a little factoid.
Everyone that enters will get a fan request from me, just in case you were wondering.
Obviously, I understand if you have a few mistakes, it’s not like you aren’t human. Unless you’re a robot. And if you are a robot, I don’t really want you in this contest. It’s not fair to the other humans.
You’ll receive a score out of 50 points, and I’ll comment on your stories on Saturday, and like I said, the results will be up Sunday afternoon.
If you have any questions or anything, my email is: email@example.com
And no creeper emails, either! Or else I’ll slice you with my internet sword.