I just finished a book "Speed reading" by Tony Buzan. This was my second book by this author; he is just too good. Anyways, I wanted to share a few tips and techniques which will definitely help you with your reading.
I read this book because I had TOO much material to read and no time. If you've got the same problem too, than go ahead and read the following tips:
1) 1) Use a pointer: Always use some sort of pointer while reading. Let it be a pencil, a pen or a stick. I don't prefer a finger; for a finger will cover a big area and thus it will interrupt in your line of sight. Just run the pointer under every line you read. This might seem childish but actually this will greatly help you with your speed.
2) 2) Take words in gulp: Our mind is designed to run fast. It can't go slow. So, taking one word at a time DECREASES your speed and your comprehension. What you do is take more than one word in one glance. Practice with two words in one sight than three and so forth. This will help you tremendously.
3) 3) Keep the book at a distance: It is necessary to keep the book or whatever you are reading at a distance. This will help your eyes contemplate the material better. And it will decrease the stress in the eye.
4) 4) Lighting: If possible, keep the lighting equal throughout the room. Of course, the best light is of Sun; so it is best to read in daylight. But if it's night time, DON'T POINT A HIGH LIGHT ON YOUR BOOK. It will cause a lot of strain in the eye. Keep the general conditions same.
5) 5) Computer Reading: Keep the general lighting conditions of the room same. DON'T TURN OFF ALL THE LIGHTS OF THE ROOM. This causes a lot of strain in the eye. Also make sure that there is no glare on the monitor; it can disturb your concentration. Adjust the contrast and brightness of the monitor to your comfort.
Well, that's it. Hope you guys liked this article. Please do comment on it.