- 1967 Poor George
- 1970 Desperate Characters
- 1972 The WesternCoast
- 1976 The Widow's Children
- 1984 A Servant's Tale
- 1990 The God of Nightmares
- 1966 Maurice's Room (pictures by Ingrid Fetz)
- 1967 How Many Miles to Babylon? (illustrated by Paul Giovanopoulos)
- 1967 A Likely Place (illustrated by Edward Ardizzone)
- 1968 Dear Prosper (illustrated by Steve McLachlin)
- 1968 The Stone-Faced Boy (illustrated by Donald A. Mackay)
- 1969 Hungry Fred (illustrated by Rosemary Wells)
- 1969 The King's Falcon (illustrated by Eros Keith)
- 1969 Portrait of Ivan (illustrated by Saul Lambert)
- 1970 Blowfish Live in the Sea
- 1973 Good Ethan (illustrated by Arnold Lobel)
- 1974 The Slave Dancer (illustrated by Eros Keith)
- 1978 The Little Swineherd and Other Tales (1996 edition illustrated by Robert Byrd)
- 1980 A Place Apart
- 1984 One-Eyed Cat
- 1986 The Moonlight Man ISBN 0-02-735480-6
- 1987 Lily and the Lost Boy (also published as The Lost Boy) ISBN 0-531-08320-9
- 1988 The Village by the Sea (also published as In a Place of Darkness)
- 1991 MonkeyIsland
- 1993 Western Wind
- 1995 The Eagle Kite (also published as The Gathering Darkness)
- 1997 Radiance Descending
- 1999 Amzat and His Brothers: Three Italian Tales
- 2001 Borrowed Finery
- 2005 The Coldest Winter: A Stringer in Liberated Europe
with puzzle pieces inside
some of the pieces are broken or missing...
and others just seem to hide
But the HEART of a teacher can sort them out...
and help the child to see
the potential for greatness he has within...
a picture of what he can be
Her goal isn't just to teach knowledge...
by filling the box with more parts
it's putting the pieces together...
and creating a work of art
The process is painfully slow at times...
some need more help than others
each child is a work in progress...
with assorted shapes and colors
First she creates a classroom...
where the child can feel safe in school
where he never feels threatened or afraid to try...
and kindness is always the rule
She knows that a child
can achieve much more
when he feels secure inside
when he's valued and loved...
and believes in himself
...and he has a sense of pride
She models and teaches good character...
and respect for one another
how to focus on strengths...not weaknesses
and how to encourage each other
She gives the child the freedom he needs...
to make choices on his own
so he learns to become more responsible...
and is able to stand alone
He's taught to be strong and think for himself...
as his soul and spirit heal
and the puzzle that's taking shape inside...
has a much more positive feel
The child discovers the joy that comes...
from learning something new...
and his vision grows as he begins
to see all the things that he can do
A picture is formed as more pieces fit...
an image of the child within
with greater strength and confidence...
and a belief that he can win!
All because a hero was there...
in the HEART of a teacher who cared
enabling the child to become much more...
than he ever imagined...or dared
A teacher with a HEART for her children...
knows what teaching is all about
she may not have all the answers...
but on this...she has no doubt
When asked which subjects she loved to teach,
she answered this way and smiled...
"It's not the subjects that matter...
It's all about teaching the CHILD."