Portofino is situated in Tigullio Peninsula and is known as the resort of the rich and famous, but there is much more to see than just people.
According to Pliny the Elder, Portofino was founded by the Romans and named Portus Delphini, or Port of the Dolphin, because of the large number of dolphins that inhabited the Tigullian Gulf. In 1171, Tigullian Gulf. In 1171, together with the neighboring Santa Margherita Ligure, it was included in Rapallo's commune jurisdiction. After 1229 it was part of the Republic of Genoa.
The town's natural harbor supported a fleet of fishing boats, but was somewhat too cramped to provide more than a temporary safe haven for the growing merchant marine of the Republic of Genoa. The Patrician families of Genoa frequently chose to build their summer homes in Sestri Levante and, as a result, this is where the largest number of aristocratic villas can be found after Genoa itself.