I imagine it went something like this:
- Mr. Herring makes the announcement. His voice wobbles a bit, he clasps his hands together and bows his head. Marina does the same.
- Everyone else looks around at each other until…
- Some dumb jock, probably Max, yells out "Who?"
- Everyone laughs like it's all a big joke. They look around until they see the one lonesome desk.
The desk that they always ignored. The desk that they always laughed at. Because when they make a mistake, it's okay. But when I do, somehow I'm a pathetic excuse of existence and I deserve to be made fun of for it. Because I'm not a person so it's okay. It's okay to laugh at me, to mock me, to pick on me, or ignore me because I'm a worthless body bag. My opinion doesn't matter and why should it? I'm not one of the millions of loud mouthed idiots like you. At least I wasn't.
In reality, it went like this:
- Mr. Herring made the announcement. He stood there, staring at them. Marina looks upward, willing the tears not to come.
- Everyone stares at their desk until…
- Some dumb jock, Max, whispers "Why?"