The Sandusky Family Story.

Reads: 195  | Likes: 0  | Shelves: 1  | Comments: 2

More Details
Status: In Progress  |  Genre: Other  |  House: Booksie Classic
A fictional story about a family who has adopted many children, many, of which, who happen to have special needs.

Submitted: May 13, 2017

A A A | A A A

Submitted: May 13, 2017



Hello!  My name is Louisiana Sandusky.  I live in Nashville, Tennessee, with my husband, William (Bill), and our children, most, of whom, happen to have special needs.  We have adopted over fifty children; they come from all nations and even here in America.

A lot of the children now live away from home, but keep in close contact with us.  They are starting their own families or lives and some are even giving us grandchildren!  We miss them, but it's great that we can keep in contact with them via phone, Facebook, Facetime, Skype, or by e-mail.  

We had always wanted a family, Bill and I; we got married when we were 19 (me) and 22 (Bill); by then we had had a son, who was born when I was 16.  I had known Bill for several years and I made a mistake; the result was a son.  Even though I loved him (as did Bill), my parents were not so accepting; I was forced to go on my own because my father, especially, did not want to have anything to do with me for staining the family image.  I was seen as a bad girl because I did not wait to get married to start a family.

It was a very hard time for me.

But Aron Wilhem, our son, grew to be a beautiful little boy; he was the spitting image of his daddy: he was going to be tall like him as well.  He was smart, funny, inquisitive, and the apple of our eyes.  I loved being a mama to him; he made life enjoyable.

Then tragedy struck: a week before his fourth birthday, Aron came down with the symptoms of what appeared to be a cold: irritability, sniffles, low grade fever, general malaise, cough.  He was not too sick; so I didn't think anything of it.  Then he started complaining of photophobia (sensitivity to light) and stiffness in his neck, as well as a headache; his screams worried me, so I took him to the ER.  The result? Meningitis; Aron would have to be admitted and immediately placed in Isolation.

We worried and fretted over our son.  We prayed to God to spare his life.  We begged for a miracle.  But that miracle never came: for on the day he was to have been four years old, he worsened and died.  From a day of what was supposed to be celebrating four wonderful years with a beautiful son turned into one of tears and grieving.

It was the worst thing that could have ever happened to us.

(End of part one!)

© Copyright 2019 Karen Lynn. All rights reserved.

Add Your Comments: