Reads: 409


We reached the hospital at around 9 in the morning. While my parents talked to the receptionist, I headed for the washroom. While coming back, I saw a group of interns. All of them were in scrubs, chatting and holding clipboards. I looked around hoping to find him but he wasn’t there. I went back to my parents. They said that my room was being prepared so we had to wait a while. We sat down my mom held my hand tightly caressing it. I guess she was more nervous than me. The receptionist called us and showed me to my room. It was good, clean. The walls were white, the bed was well-made, a nightstand was near the bed and the IV stand was there too. It wasn’t a large room but it wasn’t confining as well. I was going to spend a month here. I placed my bag on the bed. I smiled and said,

“It’s nice.”

“Well we’re glad that you like it.”- The receptionist said smiling.

“Honey, we’ll come every day so don’t worry okay?”- My mom said she looked sad but was smiling. I didn’t want to worry her. I nodded and hugged her. My dad went out to talk to the doctor and my mom helped me arrange some stuff. She placed flowers and such to try and make the room feel homely. My mom was still in her mid-thirties. She had hazel brown eyes which I inherited. She worked as a writer for the daily newspaper. She mostly worked from home.  People often say that I look like exactly like her except for my brown hair which I inherited from my dad, my mom was a blonde. She enjoyed her work, every night she wrote her articles with a smile, not stressed about the deadline or anything. She didn’t worry easily except when it came to her family. She placed a pot on the nightstand.

“How does it look?”

“It looks great. What flower is it?”


“It’s really pretty.”




“Don’t worry so much, I’ll be alright okay?”

She let out a laugh and looked at me smiling. “I’m supposed to say that not you. But okay, I’ll try not to worry.”

I smiled and said playfully, “Good girl.” She laughed again and wiped a tear.

Was that a sad tear or a happy tear? My dad came in and when he saw mom laughing he smiled looking at her. He was somewhat relieved I guess.

“So Emily, the doctor said he will be here soon for a checkup.”

“Oh, okay.”

We talked for a while before the doctor came in. He took x-ray scan, blood test and did the necessities. “The hospital will take good care of you.”

Dr. Kimball smiled and said. He also said that I didn’t need to stay at the hospital but instead of coming to the hospital for checkups everyday and certain tests, being at the hospital made it easier both for me and them. They would try their best to cure me and if possible slow down the effects. I wouldn’t be hooked up to a machine or anything for now. My mom said that she would stay the night and my dad the next, taking turns. I tried telling them that I would be fine but they didn’t budge. The day went by slowly. After school hours, Lillian and Ben came with treats. I was very happy. They stayed for a long time, Lillian narrated events that took place at school and Ben told me about the school paper assignments. They left in the evening promising to come back again. After dinner, my mom was writing her article I decided to go for a walk.

“I’ll come with you.”

“No, it’s okay. I’ll come back soon.”


“It’s okay, I’ll be fine. You go on with your writing.”

I walked out the hall. There weren’t much people except for the staff and


the patients who were already admitted. The nurses were chatting; the doctors were walking around going from one room to another. The hospital felt somewhat really peaceful and cool. I glanced at my watch it was still 8pm.  I felt weird walking around for a while but soon felt normal. The interns were in the lobby drinking coffee and chatting. I tilted my head to look inside the room. Just then someone came up behind me and said,

“What are you doing?” I gasped. My heart was beating so fast. I turned to see who it was. It was that guy who had lent me the hanky. I let out a sigh of relief. “You scared me.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s fine. I was just surprised.” He didn’t say anything and we stood silent. It was kind of awkward. I was about to leave when he broke the silence. “So you’re a patient?” He said looking at my uniform. I nodded.

“So what is it?”

“Umm, CHD.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. How long has it been?”

“I’m not really sure but I found out the day before.”

“The day you were crying?”

“Yes, the day I was crying.” I said smiling.

“Oh, so you didn’t come for an interview?”

“What interview?”

“I thought that you had come for an internship the other day.”

“Is that why you wished me luck?”

“Yes.”He smiled as he shook his head.

“Thanks anyway.”

“It’s kind of late. Don’t you need to rest?” He looked at his watch.

“Then I’ll get going. Good night.” I said and walked towards my room.

“Good night.”

As I walked back to my room, I remembered that I still had his hanky.


I’ll return it tomorrow. When I entered my room, my mom was still working on her laptop. She looked up when I came in and told me to sleep.

I tried to sleep. I couldn’t so I laid on the bed tossing and turning. My first day at the hospital wasn’t so bad. I got to spend time with my parents, the checkup was normal, Lillian and Ben came to visit, I got to tour the hospital at night and I even met him. I didn’t tell him my name. Oh but he didn’t tell me his either. I could ask him tomorrow. Where was I going anyway? This is going to be a regular cycle for at least a month. My mom was still working on her laptop. She was smiling and working. It made me happy knowing that she wasn’t all stressed out. The doctor had said that since I’m in the first stage chest pains would be a little regular. I didn’t want to feel that chest pain again, it was really painful. Only Lillian and Ben had seen what happens when I get a chest pain, I don’t think that my parents would be able to see me like that. I wouldn’t want them to. My mom slept off after some time. I tried to sleep but I still couldn’t. It was 12 am now. For weeks I haven’t been able to sleep and I keep thinking about all kinds of stuff. Scary kinds. The thoughts really don’t help either. I closed my eyes hoping that I could shake the thoughts off. After some few hours, at around 3 I got up slowly from my bed and went out trying not to disturb my mom. The hospital looked deserted more than at night. I walked around the lobby for a while before going back to my room. Soon my mom woke up and we chatted for a while.

She had to go home to make breakfast, prepare lunch for my dad and she also had to run some errands. I told her that I would be fine and then she left. The nurse brought me breakfast and some medicines that I had to eat.

I didn’t feel hungry but she told me that I had to eat even a little because medicines could not be eaten on an empty stomach. I had the pudding; it was the only small thing I could eat. After breakfast the doctor came in for the checkup. Dr. Kimball was probably in his mid-forties. He had that


Fatherly feeling about him. Calm and soft trying to understand his patients.

“Well, Emily your condition isn’t that bad but it could improve. Have your medicines on time, eat proper meals and don’t tire yourself, okay?”

“Yes, doctor."

“And also there’s something else.”

“Something bad?”

“Oh no, not at all. There is a group of interns at the hospital right now and they’re being supervised by me. They visit the patients that I’m attending and I ask questions and all that. So if they come by anytime you wouldn’t mind would you?”

Sitting or lying there while people examined me didn’t make a pretty picture.

“It would really help them and me as well.”

“Yeah, sure. No problem.”

“Thank you, I normally wouldn’t ask but right now you’re the youngest patient and there are rules. It’s not a big task or anything, you just have to be there, you know?”

“It’s okay doctor. You’re helping me too It’s the least I could do.”

“Thank you.”

He left the room. I had another whole day and since I wasn’t feeling sick or tired so I went out. The patients were in wheelchairs or had walking aids. They were being helped by the nurses. Some doctors were flirting with the nurses and the rest busy with their works. I went out in the garden; it was really big and pretty. The gardener looked really old. I sat on the bench and watched the scenery. He was watering the flowers with care. I don’t know what prompted me but I went over to him and offered to help. He hesitated at first but gave in and handed me a watering can. I tied my hair and went on to watering the plants. The gardener told me his name, Seymour; he had been working in the hospital for a long time now. He talked a lot and seemed very friendly.


He told me about the flowers, how he watered them, which season they grew in and such. I glanced at my watch, it was 11 already, time for my medication.

“Mr. Seymour, I’ll come by later, okay?”

“As you wish”

I went to my room and saw the nurse waiting for me.

“Miss Parker, where did you go off to?”

“Just went out for some air.”

She smiled as she handed me the glass and medicine. I swallowed the pills and drank the water. She left after asking me to rest. I didn’t want to rest I was bored just lying there on the bed nothing to do. I climbed on the bed and was about to call Lillian when there was a knock on the door. I saw that it was Dr. Kimball and there were some people behind him. I guess they were the interns. I smiled at Dr. Kimball and sat upright on the bed.

They came in one by one. There were five of them; three girls and two boys. I recognized one of them. He was behind the others but I could see him as he was tall. He smiled and raised his hand lazily.







Submitted: November 01, 2017

© Copyright 2023 Whitesand. All rights reserved.


Add Your Comments:

Facebook Comments

Other Content by Whitesand

Book / Romance

Book / Romance

Poem / Romance