Reads: 69  | Likes: 0  | Shelves: 0  | Comments: 1

More Details
Status: Finished  |  Genre: Literary Fiction  |  House: Booksie Classic

My first day with my new robot.

Submitted: September 13, 2018

A A A | A A A

Submitted: September 13, 2018



 I opened the door to see a man in a leather-blue jacket, and with him a large, cardboard box. I was asked to sign a document confirming my acceptance of this mysterious box, and that the delivered item was undamaged and properly handled. Signing the form officially held me responsible for the item. I strained to pick up the box, probably because it weighed like 50 pounds. I thanked the delivery guy and walked (well, more like hobbled) to my room. It was an absolute mess. Objects clattered all over the carpet floor, papers and documents piled up on one corner. An LED television mounted on the whitewashed wall, slanted. Clothes stuffed into wooden drawers not large enough to contain all of them. A bookshelf filled with books and random collectibles, miraculously enduring the strain. My bed had the misfortune of holding the cardboard package. I think I heard it creak a little.

Sighing, I made my way to the kitchen, which was adjacent to my mess of a room. I took a small, bread-cutting knife from the knife holder and re-entered my bedchamber. The mystery of the box shall be unveiled. That is, until I cut a finger trying. After a short break and a bandage, I attempted to slice open the box once again. Huzzah! I yelled. The tapes holding this mysterious contraption had broken free. The flaps were gently opened, to find–another box. Infuriated, I slashed at the box, tearing some more tape off. Finally, I was able to open the package.

It was a robot. Not just any robot, it was a humanoid. Clocking in at about 5 feet and 4 inches, it was almost as tall as me. The robot had a futuristic look, with a white coating and some unnecessary red stripes zig-zagging all around its body. Attached to its head were two notes, one of which was the instruction manual. On the right side of its head some words were imprinted; in large font, was “ENACC.” Okay, odd name for a robotics company. Oh well. The other note attached to its head was an envelope from the Technology Club at school. So, this is where the robot had come from. To contribute to my part in the website we’re making, I was to make a detailed essay of what I had learned about the robot and of its capabilities. Instantly, I whipped open my laptop, opened the online document editor, and started on my essay.

Now, I found an online article about ENACC–the same robot that is laying on my bed. I read the article, and found no new information that the instruction manual doesn't have. Except for an application for my laptop which connects to the robot. I downloaded the application, and filled out several items which would enable the robot to connect to my laptop. Back to work, I told myself. I turned on the robot using a manual switch on the back of its head, and an antenna extended. Its face also broke off to show a screen interior. It’s face was sort of like an old 90’s

computer, showing a huge screen up front encompassed by a thick, plastic anterior. A pair of green, pixelated eyes then popped up. That was new.

The robot extended its humanoid hands as a sort of sign. I took a green tennis ball lying on a pile of discarded electronic components and threw it to the robot. The robot, displaying amazing feats of skill, caught the ball with its hand. This commenced a series of tests I put upon the robot to test its capabilities. ENACC played a sort of fetch for a while, as I set up my narrative. After, I led it to the dining room while I brought a box of toy bricks and my laptop. The robot walks like a human, with swaying hands to keep balance.

For its second test, I gave ENACC a pile of bricks as I opened the application. A type of laser scanner was emitted by ENACC scanning the bricks. The application was a sort of web browser. I entered Car, and something started whirring. Probably a fan to cool the robot’s interior, as scanners and components worked together to set up the car in virtual reality. Then like a professional, the robot started working on the car. In about 25 seconds, it was complete. Amazing, as the robot recreated a motor vehicle in brick format–and in less than half of a minute!

Next, I left the kitchen, and returned with a box of papers and some HB graphite-based pencils. ENACC scanned a piece of paper and tried to pick up a pencil while I set up the third test. The robot was to attempt to recreate the famous Italian Renaissance artist Leonardo Da Vinci’s half-length portrait painting, the “Mona Lisa.” A metallic hand hovered above the white paper, before abrupt gestures flashed across the area in a seemingly random manner. I left the room, and left ENACC to tend to its business.

While the robot was recreating a famous painting, I took a toolbox and brought it back to the dining table. When I had returned, ENACC had already completed its sketch. Marvelous, although the edges could be rounded just a bit. Alright, time for the fourth test. I picked apart my watch and gutted its mechanical interior. Let’s test the robot’s horological skills. The red-tinted laser scanner once again returned to examine my watch. Expertly, ENACC repaired my “broken” watch with great agility. My watch ticked once again.

Now, to test its navigational skills. I somehow connected ENACC to Google Maps, and set my current location “Home.” Then, I set the destination to the Hanford Mall, 1675 W Lacey Blvd, Hanford, CA 93230. The robot left the house, and ran with a speed average of 70 miles per hour! Already bored, I left the dining room for the living room, and readied the leather couch for the next episode of the show I was watching. After half an episode (1 episode = 45 minutes), my laptop said,

“You have reached your destination.”

Impressive, but now it was time to head back. I just finished the episode I started when ENACC burst through the door. Literally. Sigh, looks like I might need to test its skill in carpentry. I led the robot to my backyard overrun with grass and weed. I unlocked a storage room and brought out several feet of wood and a saw. Surprisingly, ENACC can construct items out of wood. The robot fashioned the base amazingly, and with minimal errors. After, it carved intricate designs with great detail. Then, it bolted the door back into the doorway. All in less than half an hour.

Well, that was over. Just as I started to continue my essay, a clock began to chime. Dinner time already? Alright, time for the 7th test; cooking. I brought out 4 tenderloin steaks, a small bottle of salt, a jar of peppercorns, some unsalted butter, a bottle of olive oil, and some heavy cream from the fridge and pantry. ENACC scanned all of the ingredients, and paused as I input the meal it will make. Instantly, the stove was set to high, and pans were laid out as the robot readied itself. I retreated to the living room, for another episode. After, the meal was finally ready. Ah, Steak au Poivre. Dinner proved to be quite delicious, and the meat was well cooked. Ingredients were combined to provide the luscious peppercorn sauce. The steaks were cooked to perfection. Salt used sparingly to avoid the nasty taste of brine. Overall, splendid job.

After cleaning the dishes and putting back all the ingredients in their respective places, I decided it was time to rest. ENACC was charge-operated, so I needed to plug a connector into a wall socket to restore its power. I retreated to my room and rested. The next morning, I arose to a bright morning. Too bright. Eyes burning, I left my bed and re-entered the living room. The robot had fully restored power. I was too lazy to assign ENACC another excruciating task, so I shut it down. I slouched into the leather couch and worked on my essay.


© Copyright 2018 Eliazar. All rights reserved.

Add Your Comments:


More Literary Fiction Short Stories