Featured Review on this writing by Jeff Bezaire

60% In 44 Years

Reads: 25  | Likes: 4  | Shelves: 0  | Comments: 6

More Details
Status: Finished  |  Genre: Non-Fiction  |  House: Booksie Classic
It's kind of unbelievable what humanity has done.

Submitted: October 31, 2018

A A A | A A A

Submitted: October 31, 2018

A A A

A A A


60% In 44 Years.

 

60% in 44 years – that’s how humanity has managed to reduce the world’s population of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles. It is worth noting that 8% of that total has been carried out in just the last four years.

To put that in to some kind of perspective, a 60% reduction in humans would be the equivalent of emptying North America, South America, Africa, Europe, China and Oceania.

Now a lot of people might think ‘so what!’ The greed of humanity in it’s vast and growing consumption of food and of resources is endangering the entire web of life on the planet. Clean air and clean water needs the ecological status to be maintained and some scientists believe that this dominance of the world by humanity is about to cause the 6th mass extinction.

Consider these two facts: Farmed poultry now accounts for 70% of all birds, leaving only 30% of the total, wild.

60% of all mammals are livestock, 36% are human, leaving a mere 4% to be made up of wild animals.

7.6 billion people are commandeering the planet, destroying the natural habitat and diet of most other life forms on land. And don’t forget the ocean. They are hunting and fishing the life from them too, not to mention pollution.

Sometimes I feel so ashamed to be a part of humanty.

 

Sources of information: WWF & Guardian.com.


© Copyright 2018 hullabaloo22. All rights reserved.

Add Your Comments:

Comments

avatar

Author
Reply

avatar

Author
Reply

avatar

Author
Reply

avatar

Author
Reply

avatar

Author
Reply

avatar

Author
Reply