A Collection of Brief Essays on Various Social and Moral Topics

Reads: 5552  | Likes: 0  | Shelves: 0  | Comments: 1

More Details
Status: Finished  |  Genre: Editorial and Opinion  |  House: Booksie Classic

Chapter 18 (v.1) - Democracy and Freedom ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

Submitted: January 10, 2012

Reads: 175

A A A | A A A

Submitted: January 10, 2012

A A A

A A A

Democracy and Freedom ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

In the modern world, we are constantly told that democracy equates to freedom, because democracy gives people the right to rule themselves. However, I believe that this is completely and utterly false. Democracy does not give anyone the right to rule themselves. What democracy actually does is give everyone in a country the right to rule one-another.

In a democratic nation with many millions of people, your vote is like a single raindrop in a vast ocean. That is to say, your vote is unlikely to have any noticeable effect upon the politics of the nation. What is more, if all of the other people in your country vote to deny you your freedom, you are in truth no more free than if an all powerful despot denied you your freedom single-handedly. Either way, you don’t have your freedom. In a pure democracy, if 51% of the people vote to murder the other 49% for absolutely no reason, the 51% get their way merely because they are in the majority.

Ultimately, I do not believe that democracy is necessarily any more conducive to self-rule than is despotism. Under a system of despotism, a despot may choose to grant the people a reasonable amount of freedom, or else, to deny them it. Likewise, under a system of democracy, the voters may choose to grant one-another a reasonable amount of freedom, or else may choose to deny one-another it.

Although in The United States of America, democracy is nearly always equated with freedom, and despotism is nearly always equated with a lack of freedom, I do believe that democracy and despotism are both directly contrary to individual freedom. Ultimately, I believe that the only effective way for a people to achieve the right to rule themselves is for them to be committed to following a fixed, unchangeable code of laws which makes it illegal for anyone to use the government as a means to dictate how others ought to go about their lives, regardless of how many voters may want to use the government in such a manner. Of course, this can only last for as long as the people are committed to said code of laws.


© Copyright 2019 a9fc8yt3kd. All rights reserved.

Chapters

Add Your Comments:

More Editorial and Opinion Books