Topic: Writing Prompts

How do you feel about writing prompts?
I love just going on Pinterest and finding all of these really intriguing writing prompts that I sometimes use to start short stories.
Just things like, "The story's protagonist is the nicest person imaginable. The story's narrator hates him with a seething passion." Or, "Due to a rare brain condition, you've spent your entire life hallucinating the presence of a six foot tall penguin. You're on a date one day when you're asked, ‘ So what's the deal with the penguin?'"
Sometimes I just love reading these for the fun of it, anyone else do this?

Re: Writing Prompts

I didn’t know that Pinterest had such prompts so thank you!

Come up with your own ideas instead of someone elses....thats where unique writing comes from.

I love prompts because even if two people go in the same direction with it the stories created are totally different.  Take any story and boil it down to its most basic details and you will see that they fit into certain pigeon holes with a thousand other stories.  It isn't the idea that makes a story unique it is what the writer does with that idea.  How he develops it and builds his story is what makes it unique.  A final example is the multiverse.   Are you in King's corner with his Dark Tower or are you behind Moorcock and his eternal champion?  Two famous authors that have created a version of the multiverse is either diminished by the other's, in my opinion no.  King is diminished due to that fact that he has now attempted to tie his earlier works to his multiverse but that is for another discussion.  The idea of using a prompt is simple, you take an idea and write your story from it if it is somebody else's idea that shouldn't be a problem unless you also use their story.   If you think that prompts can't produce unique writing then you are being ... well, I best not say or there will be an argument.

Ian  D.  Mooby wrote:

I love prompts because even if two people go in the same direction with it the stories created are totally different.  Take any story and boil it down to its most basic details and you will see that they fit into certain pigeon holes with a thousand other stories.  It isn't the idea that makes a story unique it is what the writer does with that idea.  How he develops it and builds his story is what makes it unique.

Exactly! I totally agree. And prompts are also just great for writing excersizes or to get you out of writer's block.