Topic: new to Booksie, looking for readers/commenters

Hi there. I entered the first chapter contest, and have been slowly adding to the book. It's still a work in progress, but I could use some constructive criticism, anything. tone style, voice, whatever you'd like to comment on, by all means, just make it constructive. Comments like , This is good, I like it, this sucks donkey b****, etc aren't really helpful. Anyway, thanks for your time.

https://www.booksie.com/users/darren-woods-259540

Re: new to Booksie, looking for readers/commenters

I have written a book that needs a lot of work. The book has been tentively accepted by a professional publisher.Unless I spend ten thousand just to rewrite it in his format etc.He won't accept. Any comments will help.

From what I've read on several professional sites, files are accepted in multiple formats.  There is NO WAY that changing the format could cost anything other than time.  If the "publisher" is telling you that you need to pay them to rewrite your book, it's a scam.   End of story.

Charlotte Braun wrote:

From what I've read on several professional sites, files are accepted in multiple formats.  There is NO WAY that changing the format could cost anything other than time.  If the "publisher" is telling you that you need to pay them to rewrite your book, it's a scam.   End of story.

Amen.

The publisher also has a bad reputation for suing other publications.

james farr wrote:

One wonders whether you're still using them given these revelations.

SimonClemens wrote:
james farr wrote:

One wonders why you didn’t check them out before even discussing your book with them.

I have had similar problems with technical book publishers.They ignore you unless you are within their milieu.They say we don't publish that type of book,but the senior editor writes the letter.It protects them.

9 (edited by Luna Abbot 2019-03-08 05:34:18)

This got kinda scary, really fast  ó_ò

P.S. I'm really sorry random guy kinda hijacked the attention from your post Darren! I'll look at your stuff!

10 (edited by james farr 2019-03-12 18:05:10)

I am very impressed by the writing by most authors here on booksie.I yet have found a book I don't like reading.

11 (edited by james farr 2019-03-23 14:11:07)

I just found a new writer that writes as technically as me.He is also academically as ranked.I am not alone!His author name is Agbalala H. Ebi.

I  have already found a lot of compatriots here.It is a really good website!

Ian  D.  Mooby wrote:
SimonClemens wrote:
james farr wrote:

One wonders why you didn’t check them out before even discussing your book with them.

Hallelujah!

I got my first comment. It really felt good.

Don’t worry about the “Haters”, they just have jealousy issues, but as I’ve told many people, the best way to motivate others to read & comment upon your work, is to do the same for theirs!! The “Golden Rule” applies very appropriately here as well as in other parts of life!

Spyguy wrote:

The “Golden Rule” applies very appropriately here as well as in other parts of life!

Which golen rule are you speaking of?
He who has the most gold makes the rules.
Do unto others before they shaft you.
Don't pull on Superman's cape.

Well. I have found some books on booksie I can't stand,but I don't tell them.I can't even get by the first paragraph.

Nowadays people ar so educated,it is hard to find a bad book.

Darren Woods wrote:

Hi there. I entered the first chapter contest, and have been slowly adding to the book. It's still a work in progress, but I could use some constructive criticism, anything. tone style, voice, whatever you'd like to comment on, by all means, just make it constructive. Comments like , This is good, I like it, this sucks donkey b****, etc aren't really helpful. Anyway, thanks for your time.

I would gladly check out your work Darren and any other writers here however I'm not really good editorial wise and such, so i couldnt give you any critiques and what not.

So if ya just want an average readers opinion than just give me a buzz, however I would prefer short stories and poetry and things that I can read relatively quickly as I'm a very busy gal.

Jezzy Jay

I just got over one hundred reads in my first chapter attempt of "Neolamarckianism vs. Lamarckianism. A Rebuttal."(my new book project). That's quite a run.I have never had such a run besides one e-mail I posted many years ago in msn community.It gives me hope!

Nature and science writing just got popular recently. Books about pet animal caring and amateur field manuals were on the search engines. I hope this trend continues.

I just sold a book on amazon!

Darren Woods wrote:

Hi Darren. I see that Adam read and commented on your story a couple of days ago. You didn't respond. If you want to encourage comments, you really ought to respond to them, even if it's just a "Thank you".

For me a good title gets me to check writing out. And I really dont want tit for tat buddy comments ...A lot folks on here get the buddy atta boys on everything they write...even if its not very good. ..

A.S COOPER wrote:

For me a good title gets me to check writing out. And I really dont want tit for tat buddy comments ...A lot of folks on here get the buddy atta boys on everything they write...even if it's not very good. ..

It goes both ways constructive crit is even if you like it if you have ideas to make it better add that. but even if it is bad, do not be a jerk give them advice on how to make it better, never just say it is fine. people can not improve their writing with that.