Topic: Writing Promts

I have an idea to try and get myself out of this non-writing funk!

Taking writing prompts from the names of songs I hear, whether its on the radio, youtube etc? Anyone else fancy joining me on this little adventure?

The first writing prompt I chose was Sam Smith - Dancing with a stranger. I am going to attempt to write a short story using this as the jump off.

Let me know your thoughts!!

Re: Writing Promts

If I understood you correctly, you are interested in the song fiction, such as short stories with a quotation of popular songs? I've seen them mostly in Russian. 90% of these things remind of video clips' descriptions, especially if a song doesn't have any official video. If your short story is inspired by some song but doesn't contain quotations of a song, it's not the song fiction.

Not quite,

I mean when you hear a song, whatever the title is, use it as a prompt to write anything that it inspires.

I just happened to be listening to Sam smith when I had the idea. I have been in a long case of writers block so just using this as a jump start to get back into it again smile

My first one is up, I think ill try and do this semi regularly, I quite enjoyed it!

S.B.Scoular wrote:

I mean when you hear a song, whatever the title is, use it as a prompt to write anything that it inspires.

I think it sounds good, but this is not the song fiction, I would call this "inspired fiction."

This is something I've often done. I'm not familiar with the song but will give it a listen and try to come up with a story over the next couple of days. Thanks for the idea, and I'll be sure to check out your story.

7 (edited by S.B.Scoular 2019-08-07 22:50:28)

Thanks hullabaloo. You could choose any song you like. That just happened to be the song playing when I had the idea. I've had writers block for so long I needed something to inspire me x

Anyone else fancy taking the prompt?

Let me know what song you choose!

9 (edited by Obscure 2019-08-08 01:17:26)

I think it's a great idea, the great thing about songs is the titles are often ambiguous enough to create a story of any genre. I remember joining a contest on here a few years ago, Raeblair's, that was this exact prompt idea: using songs to write a story. I chose 'Ship to Wreck' by Florence + the Machine. Sadly, I did not complete the story by the deadline. In fact, I still have an unedited version on my laptop. Maybe I'll try and complete it smile

I would say go for it. I really enjoyed this so I will be doing it again, just whatever song takes my fancy! I found it quite therapeutic!

Great idea, I might try to try it!

Brill. Let me know when it's up. I'll have a check it out!

My story "The Dandelion" was inspired by a line from Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell.

I'll need to check it out when I get the chance.

Do we also use some of the lyrics as a prompt or only the song title?

I only used the song title in this instance but it is personal preference.

I think it's a good idea maybe you try using books that you've read or maybe use a story from your childhood that a grandparent might have told you. That's what I did and I even added some of my very own writings to it and I think that it came out great. It's called "The Story of Light and Dark: part one" if you what to give it go.

Yeah that sounds like great idea too. Anything to get the creativity going.

Today I saw a song lyric a friend sent to me titled "I Love the Way you Lie", I never listen to the song nor I finish reading the lyric (which is long), but I came up with a chapter with that title for my book. Thank you for this writing prompt.

You are most welcome!