The Day I Almost Wrote A Story

Reads: 45  | Likes: 0  | Shelves: 0  | Comments: 0

More Details
Status: Finished  |  Genre: Literary Fiction  |  House: Booksie Classic
A short story detailing an endeavor to write one!

Submitted: July 29, 2012

A A A | A A A

Submitted: July 29, 2012

A A A

A A A


Yesterday was an important day in my life. It was the day I almost wrote a story. You see, when an individual with a smattering of some writing skills sits down to write a story, the said person contrives to do just that. Being the person discussed, I realized in a jiffy that the said story would never come out with the velocity of the Niagara Falls.  So in the true spirit of the amateur writer, I sent out my inner self to wander the depths of my mind and waited for it to strike the cord of creativity that would surely let my hands pen down the creation. Lauding my genius, my eyes turned to the keyboard expectantly. Active fingers drummed on the keys, randomly caressing them, waiting for that stroke of genius.

A few minutes passed and the fingers, now placid, seemed to sigh, ‘Well....’ The morose inner mind began tracing the outlines of dark incomprehensible space when a distant roar filled the void. My inner mind applauded the ever intruding television for giving me a glimpse of the roaring Niagara Falls. Being 72 percent similar with the Niagara Falls, the other 28 percent tugged me to various points on the vast landscape. I enveloped the vast stretches of the Sahara, breezing past the pyramids and the sparkling De Beers diamond fields, through the beautiful plains of the Serengiti. The whales of the oceans spouted out their watery greeting and dolphins tried to catch up with me as I claimed the Pacific and moved up the Indian ocean to the zenith of the planet, high up the Himalayas, the sweeping winds of which almost took away my woolen cap, which I lost in the hurricanes of the Americas. The threads of something wonderful were getting weaved somewhere, and in the distance I heard the sounds of rapid clicks. I was in omnipresence, the lights of the Aurora Borealis lighting up the background. But fate had a funny say in the proceedings. Everything went pitch black. 'Damn', muttered my younger brother from the sofa, 'bloody load shedding'. The words brought me back to reality, mind and all. I was left looking quite the fool, still drumming the keyboard, now musing over the story of how I almost wrote a story.


© Copyright 2017 Hossain. All rights reserved.

Add Your Comments:

More Literary Fiction Short Stories

Booksie 2017-2018 Short Story Contest

Booksie Popular Content

Other Content by Hossain

The Day I Almost Wrote A Story

Short Story / Literary Fiction

Popular Tags