Honey is produced when honeybees leave their hives and collect nectar from flowers. Upon returning to their hives, the bees work together to ingest and regurgitate the nectar until it reaches their desired quality. The honey is then stored in cells in a honeycomb. After which, many bees in the hive fan their wings to create a draft that enhances evaporation of the water that remains in the nectar after it's storage in the honeycomb. This reduction in water raises the sugar concentration and also prevents fermentation.
The process a honeybee endures when producing honey may not be very appealing but the many uses for honey definitely are. You are probably already aware of honey's use in cooking but it is also used for many medical conditions and beauty aids.
One thing you do need to keep in mind when using honey is that honey should not be given to children under the age of 1 year old. Honey may contain dormant endospores of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. The endospores can form into toxin-producing bacteria in an infant's immature intestines which can be very dangerous, so dangerous in fact that it could subsequently lead to an illness or even an infant's death. An older child or adult mature digestive system generally destroys these spores.
Now beginning with a few of honey's medical uses, honey can be used for everything from weight loss to bed wetting, here are some very interesting medical uses:
1. Constipation. Add honey to a warm liquid and ingest. This creates a mild laxative. Your body absorbs from the honey what it needs to be more balanced and regular.
2. Minor Scraps, Cuts, and Burns. Honey has natural antibacterial properties that can speed up healing. Apply honey to your wounds at least twice daily for best results.
3. Hangover. Did you have a date with Captain Morgan last night and the two of you had a little too much fun? Well, honey just may be the miracle cure for your hangover. A few tablespoons of honey on some toast, pancakes, waffles, or bagel could be just what you need to get rid of that hangover.
4. Bed Wetting In Children. Giving a teaspoonful of honey to a child before bed will act as a sedative to their nervous system. It will also attract and hold fluid while a child is sleeping, thus sparing their kidneys.
5. Bladder Infection. Stir two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water. Drink this mixture and it will help fight off the bacteria in the bladder that is causing the infection.
6. Toothache. A simple paste made from honey and cinnamon powder applied to a toothache up to three times daily can help tremendously. To make the paste, mix together one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and five teaspoons of honey.
7.Weight Loss. Drink a mixture of honey, cinnamon powder, and water to help in weight loss. Here is the recipe for this drink, make a paste of one teaspoon of honey and a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Add one cup of boiling water, stir and filter. Let the mixture cool enough for drinking. Drink half of the mixture before breakfast and drink the other half before bed. This mixture may help in the prevention of a body's accumulation of fat.
Now on to a few honey related beauty aids. Honey may just be the key to your natural beauty. These beauty aids could help with your loss of hair or may even leave you with baby soft skin. Here are a few beauty aids honey could provide for you:
1. Bathing. Are you stressed and in need of a nice long relaxing bath? Why not take a natural milk and honey bath. Mix together 1/3 cup of honey and two and 1/4 cups of milk. Pour in your bath water and enjoy the relaxation of nature.
2. Body Moisturizer. Are you in need of a good body moisturizer to smooth on your skin after a bath or shower? Mix together 1/2 cup of honey, one cup of cold water, and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and apply to your entire body.
3. Hair Loss or Baldness. Thinning hair can be a major concern for not only men but also some women. The following mixture can be effective in the fight against hair loss. Mix together one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in warm olive oil, make into a paste and apply before taking a bath or shower. Leave the paste on the scalp for up to fifteen minutes then rinse and wash hair as usual.
4. Facial Treatment. Need a soothing facial? This mixture could leave your skin as smooth as a baby's bottom. Blend together two tablespoons of honey with 1/2 cup of ground oatmeal. Add a few teaspoons of water to thin out the mixture. Cleanse your face as usual then apply the mixture to your face. Leave the mixture on for up to 30 minutes. Cleanse your face again of the mixture and see and feel the difference in your facial skin.
5. Pimples. Do you have acne that you just can't seem to get rid of, pimples that seem to form a dot to dot picture on your face? Well, honey could be the key to getting rid of those unwanted visitors on your face. Try this paste for two weeks and see if it helps. Mix three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder together to form a paste. Apply the paste to your pimples before bed and cleanse your face of the paste in the morning.
There are so many uses for honey that it is hard to compile a complete list of them all. When done properly the uses that are listed above can be just as productive as the bees that produce the honey.
© Copyright 2016 McKenna Cole. All rights reserved.
Article / Editorial and Opinion
Article / Health and Fitness
Article / Sports
Paste the link to picture in the entry below:
Paste the link to Youtube video in the following entry:
Cannot annotate a non-flat selection. Make sure your selection starts and ends within the same node.
An annotation cannot contain another annotation.
There was an error uploading your file.