The Diary of Elizabeth Crelly

Reads: 273  | Likes: 0  | Shelves: 0  | Comments: 0

More Details
Status: Finished  |  Genre: Action and Adventure  |  House: Booksie Classic
I wrote this for my Creative Writing class; we had to have some sort of 'journey' theme. Elizabeth Crelly and all other characters are fictional, and I do not know them personally ( :P Zwater is also a made up place.

It's written in diary format about a team investigating an island.

Submitted: April 07, 2008

A A A | A A A

Submitted: April 07, 2008



Day 1:

I’m currently on the plane to the jungles of Zwater, a tiny island in the middle of the ocean near the equator. A couple of colleagues are with me, and we are trying to learn more of the secrets that Zwater may keep. My team members are Rick, a tall man with slick black hair and beady bird eyes; Gareth, a rather nice fellow with curly brown hair; Alexandra, the only other girl on the trip with long brown hair and green eyes; and finally Max, an extremely short and bald person, but he makes up for it in boldness and determination. Rick is already in Zwater waiting for the rest of us to arrive.
Each of us are writing in own journals, so at least one of us will have a detail the other does not. We decided to write about the experience itself in these journals rather than all the details; the details are being recorded in a group folder.
Our journey through Zwater will last, hopefully, thirty days. I’ll try to keep this updated as much as possible with the animals, ruins, plants, and everything else in between.
Hopefully we have enough supplies to get us through the month. We have brought along two canoes and food. We even have two tents to share. Our plane is about to land, so I shall write next time I get the chance.
Day 2:
We have spent one night in Zwater. It was horrible; the humidity brought in mosquitoes and made it really uncomfortable to sleep.
We have no hot water to clean ourselves with; something I knew was coming but prepared little for. Our dinner consisted of beans and soup mixed together for an ugly concoction.
Aside our troubles, the jungle is beautiful. Trees reach to the sky and plants occupy every place possible. Not much sign of animals yet.
We had a hike and moved ten miles north of our previous campsite. We are now settled on the top of a cliff, overlooking the jungle. It looks very different from this perspective; just a bunch of leaves covering each other, sheltering whatever is below it. The view is now dark and looks like a bottomless void. We set some torches so we know where to step.
The bean soup is ready, so I must be off. I shall continue to update later after my scrumptious meal.
Day 4:
My team has just escaped some vicious gorillas. The mothers were protective of their children, and the males were just aggressive. They noticed us before we noticed them and they called out with screeches warning us to not intrude.
Gareth was trying to be friendly and risked our lives by handing them some beans. What he didn’t know is that the bean can was actually containing spices for the beans.
The gorillas were smart enough to know it was food, and they ate it; we are pretty sure they didn’t like it. The ones who were brave enough to eat it started screaming and grunting at us; we quickly stepped away fast yet cautiously. We couldn’t calm them down, but once we were far enough, we ran.
That’s why I am writing now; we are taking a break from the running. Poor Alexandra almost passed out.
Now we must be on the move again to get away from the angry gorillas. Hopefully they are not like dogs and can track us with their noses. That wouldn’t be good for Alexandra.
Day 7:
The mosquitoes have vanished from our campsite. We are also far away from any source of water, thanks to Rick. He had a feeling that a “fresher water pond was a while this way,” and so he led us.
We walked for at least two miles and it was sundown; the rest of us where tired and hungry. We made him stop at the nearest clearing.
Now it is quite late at night and the stars are bright and brilliant; there are so many of them, it would take forever to count. The moon is as big as a shiny penny. It’s not even white, but more of a beige color.
The jungle is getting thicker to get through but we are still trudging along. Max is doing better than I had expected; he is so independent and is willing to do things for anyone despite his size. Max even killed a snake; it was so close to Alexandra she couldn’t move. The snake is a full two feet long and brown; supposedly not poisonous. We didn’t take any chances by eating it; instead we left it for the other animals to eat.
Rick is becoming cocky and he keeps saying “I could have killed that snake,” and such. I really wish we had left him in civilization, but I doubt he would have let us.
Bean soup is becoming blander every night; if only we had kept those spices Gareth and given to the gorillas.
We are planning another hike tomorrow, so I better get some sleep.
Day 11:
It has been a while since I last wrote, and a lot has happened since then.
When we had packed up our campsite from the last place I wrote about, a tiger was in the bushes near us. He was close to striking us – mainly Max. He was, unfortunately, the slowest runner in our group, due to his shortness. Luckily he found a cave small enough for a man his size, or any other animals his size, and it was deep enough to not let the tiger through.
The tiger had forgotten about the rest of us but waited for Max to come out. The tiger waited five hours, and Max still hung tight. The rest of us were far away and tried to not make any noise. Eventually, the tiger moved along, realizing he wasn’t going to have much luck with this prey. Rick wanted to shoot the tiger, but loud noises aren’t quite welcome here. It would scare all the other animals away, some we needed to write down for our research.
It was already afternoon when we got Max out of the cave. The lot of us continued the opposite direction of the tiger for two hours. We found a nice water source, but the mosquitoes were back.
We camped there for two days, trying to help Max. Being the stubborn independent person he is, we didn’t do much but kept an eye on him.
Now we are on the move again, hoping to find anything else.
Day 13:
We found the most beautiful place in Zwater. It’s a giant lake with waterfalls pouring its contents into it; the water is clearer than a diamond. The fish come in every color and every size. We studied them and ate some others once Gareth found a string in our bags and we risked a few beans.
The fish was delicious and better then any five-star restaurant can make. My taste buds were satisfied with it after all those days of beans and soup.
We plan on staying here for four days; a water source this big must attract some sort of animal.
Day 17:
We stayed in our paradise too long. The day after my last journal entry, some natives – actual people – found us. We’ve decided to call them the Zwaterians for there was no other record of human life on this island. They were tanned and wore paint all over their body. We didn’t want to upset them, so we did what we think we were supposed to. The Zwaterians spoke a foreign language, but they made plenty gesticulations, knowing we couldn’t understand them.
They took us to their village. We were very frightened by these people; for all we knew, they could be cannibals and wanted us for dinner. Their village consisted of hundreds of huts made of mud and wood, and when we arrived, thousands of eyes were on us.
We were taken to who I think is the leader of the Zwaterian tribe. Each of us was given a bowl full of strange purple jelly. The leader ate his, and we followed his lead.
It was foul and disgusting, but the leader couldn’t find more joy in it. We ate every last drop as to not upset the tribe.
Then the leader shooed us away, and other natives took us to our own hut made of mud. We were kept there for three days, given the purple food to eat, and we were released today. The Zwaterians set us off in a direction none of us knew of, but they gave us plenty of the purple food. We didn’t say anything until they were out of sight, and then we quickly walked to the unknown direction.
We walked for at least three miles. Now, here we are, in yet another campsite by a stream. We are setting off again tomorrow, trying to get away from the natives.
Day 21:
We have some horrible news. Our group of five, including me, is now four.
I’ll start from the beginning.
We had just reached a giant river and decided to use our two canoes – yes, we were able to keep them with us after all these miles – to get to the other side. The water was calm and the fish didn’t bother our trip. We went south for an hour until we reached a tiny island. We decided to have camp there, for the sun was setting.
We had just finished setting up camp and Gareth and Max where starting to make dinner. Rick and I were collecting firewood to keep warm for the night. Alexandra decided she needed to use the bathroom, so she went a small ways out of the campsite.
Somehow, somewhere, we don’t know, but a poisonous snake had bitten her. It was black with brilliant red and yellow stripes on it – we didn’t dare look too close.
Alexandra was bitten on the ankle and it took her two hours before she finally passed away. We did the best we could… but it wasn’t enough.
This entry is dedicated to her. RIP Alexandra.
Day 23:
We had decided to leave Alexandra on the island – buried – and then we continued south. But we found the most adorable chimpanzees!
We reached the mainland of Zwater and set up camp for the millionth time. It wasn’t until after dinner we saw little furry creatures coming out to us.
They were playful and not at all harmful. They loved Gareth! He held two of them at a time; they just kept climbing on him! One chimpanzee got a piggyback ride from him.
Rick was furious and not at all amused at our intruders. He wanted to shoot the sky – just to scare them – but we talked him out of it.
Max just held back and laughed at Gareth. There were at least a dozen of them, and some of the chimpanzees had gotten a hold of the pots that we cook the bean soup in. They hit the pots with utensils and wore them as hats! They were little geniuses.
They left us after a couple of hours. It was sure fun to have their company.
Day 26:
We are getting close to the end of our expedition, so we are following Rick and his compass to the north side of the island, where we hope our plane will find us.
No one likes Rick right now. He had managed to shoot a chimpanzee the other day, and he is keeping the corpse.
Max had sat in some sort of poisonous plant, so we have been taking care of him for the past day. It’s getting better, though, thank goodness. We kept a leaf to know what the poisonous plant looks like for future references.
Gareth has been keeping to himself for a while now. He has been sitting in solitude away from us. I’ve tried to talk to him about it, but it isn’t doing much good.
That’s all the news so far. 
Day 28:
We’ve reached a beach, but we are still moving north. Gareth has opened up again; I suspect it was just homesickness. We have been gone from our homes for twenty-eight days now, and we will return in two days.
The crabs are everywhere here. There are dozens of holes in the sand to mark the entryway of their homes. They scurry around so fast; we haven’t yet gotten a good look at one!
Well, one, we did, thanks to Max.  He caught a huge one which we all ate for lunch. It was delicious! It was so much better than bean soup or the purple mixture of unknown ingredients.
The jungle is still very close to us; it goes immediately jungle, sand, water. It gets tight sometimes when we are hiking on the beach. We actually lost one of our canoes by dropping it off a small cliff into sharp rocks. We left the other canoe a mile behind us; the effort to carrying it was too much.
Day 30:
We are currently on the plane back home, and the pilot was extremely happy to know that at least four of us had made it. He confided in us that he believed none of us would make it, but we proved him wrong!
The last days were uneventful yet peaceful and relaxing. We are all looking forward to nice, hot showers when we get home to see our family once more.
This was one exciting journey I won’t forget easily.

© Copyright 2019 Sarahsaurus. All rights reserved.

Add Your Comments:

More Action and Adventure Short Stories