Warhammer 40k Imperial Guard Army background information.
Warhammer 40k and all of it's rights and armies are the property of Mini War Gamming)
This is MY army background, I hold no rights to the Imperial Guard themselves, but the home world, and the army I talk about below is of my design.
Though this story is not a fictional short story, nor a novel, I may perhaps pursue fiction involving this army in the future.
My Imperial Guard army background:
In the warhammer universe there are thousands of planets and from each planet a type of Imperial guard. From the jungles of Catachan, to desert worlds Imperial guard are as different as they are numerous.
In my world- formally known as X12003 but renamed Marine IV after its Habitation due to the fact that the world is 90% water- the Imperial guard come from a tough breed of human. In the world Marine IV Orks are a severe problem, along with the many different deadly breeds of animals, and even a large scale rebellion. The world is mainly comprised of two continents, one in inhabited by the Rebels, and Orks, the other mainly inhabited by the Emperor loyal 'Marines'. The Marine men at the age of 17 begin their training to become an Imperial Guard. Roughly 75% of the men trained actually serve for the Emperors army, the other 25% stay home, serving as guards to the planet itself.
Though a main contributor to the Emperium's fighting forces, the world of Marine IV receives no help in its rebel and Ork problem. Instead the Marines are forced to deal with those problems on their own, resulting in much stronger fighting men, both mentally and physically.
Unlike many planets the men of Marine IV train for years in the arts of marksmanship and melee combat, they are renown throughout the Emperium as some of the toughest non-deathworld fighting forces. Though training for the honor of combat almost their entire lives, Marines also train after being enlisted like all other Imperial Guards. During said training the Marines learn to depend on one another, they learn discipline, and they learn about tactics alone with broadening their knowledge of combat, both long and close quarters.
Unlike most Imperial Guards the Marines have a 55hour judgment period, where they must test their skills of physical prowess during an obstacle course, alone with their skills at problem solving. Many of the puzzles they face are practically identical to the ones they may have to overcome during actual combat. This 55hour period is commonly referred to as the 'Crucible' or the '55hours of hell'. During the 55hours they guard are not allowed to eat, or sleep.
The Marines are of few number, but are a proud race. The number they wear on their shoulder-guards is 214.
Though fighting styles vary from unit to unit, most Marines preffer to outlflank, and outgun the enemy. They enjoy using many different tanks, but the Marines also like to fight on foot, making a very balanced army. Snipers are common.
© Copyright 2016 Spoondancer. All rights reserved.